Saturday, June 4, 2011

Weekly Blog Entry 1

So I registered for Software Engineering CS 373 with Professor Downing. I was a little apprehensive before class started because I am a Business Major and I don't have the prerequisites that most of the other students in the class have. But after speaking with Dr. Downing and given my current knowledge of programming I am confident I can do well in this class.

Dr. Downing said we wont be learning about software per se but the things that go around software like the development process and related. We talked about GitHub and version control which is all really new material for me. But I felt like I understood most of what was going on. I didn't know anything about caching but hopefully with the TA's help, Arun, I will be able to learn what I don't know. Arun seemed like a really helpful guy.

So some of the books are free, there is a quiz every day which is a good thing because it will keep us on our feet. We're suppose to ask questions in Piazzza (which always make me think of pizza haha), Piazza seems really cool and reminds me a lot of Google Wave. We talked about the 3n+1 problem, I didn't quite understand the gist of the algorithm but that wasn't important it sounded like. What was important was the technqiues in designing solutions and versioning them. I felt like I could understand this.

Professor Downing also talked about writing the stupidest quickest solution possible because we care about the human. We don't care about the machine, humans get tired, machines dont. After building a dumb quick solution we version it and then we can start working on improving the solution. This is what Git is all about.

I am looking forward for Monday's lecture but I'm not sure what I am suppose to have prepared for it other than what the syllabus says which is reading chapter 1-8.
I'm also suppose to get some UML software, the books, and something with Collatz? I think I have to come up with a solution or something. Ill start a bulk of my work tomorrow.

Goals for this class: Hopefully this class will teach me good techniques in designing software. One of my dreams is to do a start up with some friends. So by taking this class I hope to get closer to that. Also it would be great to meet people who are as passionate about software as I am.

Great so I hope I written enough. Till next week,

Omar

"Chance favors the prepared individual."


No comments: