Sunday, September 23, 2007

Technology

I am truly impressed by the human race. We are the most intelligent species in the known Universe...or at the least capable. Truly our unique ability to learn, store large amounts of information, and make intelligent decisions when rational is something of a wonder that perhaps is taken granted for since we are able to demonstrate these acts so quickly and so numerously. Technology is a byproduct of our imagination and intelligence. It is one of the most powerful things we can build, use, and learn. There is technology everywhere you look: Cell Phones, Light Bulbs, Toilets, processed and pasteurized foods, medicine, and the list continues. All of this allows us to do things we could never do with the physical traits that are given to us. Intelligence is our most coveted gift and the most coveted skill anyone or anything could ever ascertain. Technology increases our productivity; it increases our standard of living, our democracies, our lives, and our future.

It may all sound cliché but that's because it is everywhere and we often take it for granted. But if you really, really think about it what we have is the results of a collective whole of every human who has ever created any technological breakthrough. And though, each thing that was built that allowed us to do whatever it was designed to do, took years and lifetimes, we all posses and benefit from it in some way or another. We can all drink healthy milk because of Louis Pasture's lifetime commitment to the sterilization of food. We can all call our mothers at night when we are thousands of miles away from them because of Alexander Graham Bell's years of dedication to inventing the telephone (and the many people who came afterwards that refined it and made it wireless). Warren Buffet once said "The average American lives 100 times better than the wealthiest man 100 years ago." Why? Because as a society we all benefit when one citizen dedicates their time to the advancement of our way of life through technology. In 100 years things have changed a lot and our life has increased in many aspects. A lot of people have contributed their lives to developing new technologies that make our lives better.

What I am trying to get at is that without technology without that intelligence we would be a lot different. And I bet most of you, if you had the chance, would compare a life without technology to a life with technology as a very scary, boring, and limiting experience. Sure you will have your breaks from technology where you cherish the very simple things in life but when you weigh those things technology has a net benefit that is exponential as the times go forwards. That is why I am truly impressed at our race. It makes you think that such a superior and advanced life form must have had a pre constructed blue print of our evolution…because I just don't think we're that lucky.

2 comments:

Vanya said...

I bet you wont believe in the big Bang theory then, huh? I must agree however the view that you present of a possible blue print for human evolution is interesting. Wouldn't we have found traces of it though, given that we have cracked the human DNA :)?

SilverLight said...

Haha. Well when I said a preconstructed blue print of our evolution I wasnt thinking literally a blue print much like DNA. More of like a plan from God...if he exists which I still have to figure out for myself. And as for the Big Bang theory, which I am an advocate of, there are still problems with it because, as I am now learning in geology that when we get an estimation for the age of the Universe we get a number around 14 to 15 billion years. The problem with that is scientists have found stars that are older than that. My professor said thats how it is in science, "So much left to discover and just when you come up with a theory that passes the incredably rigorus and unforgiving laws of physics and science...pooof another 1000 problems that the theory doesnt explain appears and your back to square 1...or sqaure 2 if your lucky." I am not really a religous person Vanya...I dont want to offend you but for the most part I think religon has a lot of inaccuracies...too many for me to put any trust in. Its important yes, I mean science has no moral or ethical code to guide us like religon does but in my religon (islam) I have seen it used as excuses for actions that are unjust and unethical. Granted people will say that those people who are involved with Jihad have misinterpretations of Islam but if you really think about it Islam has been interpreted in numerous ways thats why we have so many divisions inside of Islam (ie Sunni, Shia, Ismili, Ithani etc.). You cannnot say one interpretation is wrong. We don't even know how Osama Bin Laden got so many people to agree with his Doctorine and interpretation of his views. I mean he may look like a radical from our standpoint and we judge him one way but there are thousands of people who we do not know that agree with him. There must be some information or something we dont see that they do. People just dont get up and agree with Osama Bin Laden unless he's got a pretty damn good reason to make them believe. I am sure they dont think he's evil because really nobody in this world wants to do anything evil from their perspective.
Im getting ahead of myself...
I guess what I am trying to say is that throughout the centuries people have used religon to accomplish agendas that were probably not highly ethical. And because religon can be interpreted in so many different ways unlike science which has a discrete and strict definition which can be altered but only by a system of rigorus logic and consistency, religon to me has lost that sense of purity or divine calling. That is not to say wether or not I do belive in God which is a different story. But for such a species like ourselves to develop the way we do and to come to where we are makes me think that its not just the lucky roll of the dice that we get from evolution all these gifts...Einstein once said "I am convinced that he [God] does not play dice". I for one agree with him.